I had three bananas that turned so ripe that I couldn’t even freeze them to use for smoothies. I was also too stubborn to throw them away. Boring story short, I decided to make banana muffins. My housemate deemed them as “Damn, Em that was the best muffin I have ever eaten, even better then any I have bought from a cafe”. Then my head exploded.
This recipe is as healthy as they come, full of protein and fiber. The muffins are super moist without being too dense. They are filling enough to eat for breakfast or a quick pick me up snack! You can freeze them too. They are made from whole ingredients, and they contained no refined sugar. Last but not least, they are 100% vegan (you can’t even tell).
I need to mention that this was also my first time baking with a vegan egg substitute and I am blown away! I mixed 1 tablespoon of flax seed meal with 3 tablespoons of water to make the egg substitute, which formed a gel-like consistency. I am thinking about mixing the flax seed meal with chia seeds and soaking over night to make a chia pudding. Has anyone ever done this?
Vegan Banana, Blueberry & Oat Muffins
2 cups wholemeal spelt flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon of baking powder
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1/2 cup coconut sugar
2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup almond milk
1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
3 ripe bananas (mashed)
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
1) Use coconut oil to oil your muffin trays and preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2) In a large bowl, mix together all of your dry ingredients (EXCEPT COCONUT SUGAR).
3) Whisk 1 tablespoon of flax seed meal with 3 tablespoons of warm water and let rest for a few minutes.
4) Meanwhile, add all your wet ingredients into a medium bowl INCLUDING THE COCONUT SUGAR (this is so it dissolves properly).
5) Mix the ‘flax seed egg’ into the wet ingredients bowl.
6) Combine the wet and dry ingredients together.
7) Add around 1/3 of a cup of batter into each muffin pan. Sprinkle some coconut sugar and extra oats on top for crunch.
8) Bake for around 20 minutes until muffins have risen slightly and are golden brown on top.