I’ve recently been making a lot of products at home instead of buying it from the supermarket. This is because it is so easy, so much cheaper and extremely satisfying. They usually taste better too. After looking at the ingredients on a $9.50 “healthy” granola at the supermarket, I realised it was high in sugar and definitely not worth paying the money they were charging for it. I decided to make my own. The only thing I needed to get that wasn’t in my pantry at home was cranberries.
I am going to share with you my recipe I used to make my delicious granola, but you can essentially use any dried fruit or nuts. I chose dried cranberries because I like the taste, but I had a tonne of almonds and sunflower seeds to use up so I put them in. This recipe is vegan too!
I usually eat oats every morning because they are one of the only breakfasts that I find provides me with hours of energy and keeps me feeling full. I usually make either hot oats, overnight oats or granola. I always top my oats with fresh fruit and berries, or mix in maca powder or cocao powder. This morning, I topped the homemade granola with coconut yogurt, banana, blueberries, a plum and mango (seasonal fruits). The homemade granola was crunchy, and had the perfect mix of sweet and salty.
Cranberry & Coconut Homemade Granola
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup maple syrup or agave syrup
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon coconut oil (melted)
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup almonds (chopped roughly)
1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1) Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2) In a large bowl, mix together your oats, salt, syrup, cinnamon, coconut oil, almonds and sunflower seeds.
3) Put your granola onto a large baking tray, making sure to spread the mixture out evenly. I greased my tray with coconut oil (you can use baking paper).
4) Put the granola into the oven and bake for 5 minutes.
5) Take granola out of the oven, give it a mix and add in the shredded coconut and cranberries.
6) Bake for a further 5 minutes. You want the granola to be golden brown.
7) Cool granola before putting into a jar or container.