Making your own plant based milk is sustainable, easy and delicious. Not to mention it is much cheaper. Oats cost around $3 for a few kilos and water, hey, water is free. I have been making oat milk and using it in smoothies and my coffee. It has a creamy/sweet taste. I also add in a little bit of cinnamon and agave syrup because it makes everything taste even better!
Oat milk contains calcium and vitamin A. Just one cup of this stuff will give you around 35% of your daily calcium needs. It is low in fat, is cholesterol free and contains iron. It is also high in soluble fiber which means it will strength your immune system and regulate healthy blood sugar levels throughout the day.
Vegan Oat and Cinnamon Milk
Makes 1 litre
1 cup rolled oats
1 litre water
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon agave syrup
Pinch of sea salt
1) Soak your oats in water for about an hour (this will ensure they blend easily).
2) Once your oats are soaked strain out the water and put them into a blender along with 1 liter of fresh water.
3) Blend for 1 minute.
4) Pour oat milk through a strainer or cheese cloth to strain out the blended oat ‘left overs’ (you can use the left overs for cookies or put into a smoothie for extra fiber).
5) Add the oat milk back into the blended and add in the cinnamon, agave syrup and salt. Pulse for a few seconds.
6) Pour into a jar and keep oat milk in the fridge up to 5 days.
Hope you enjoy this recipe and let me know if you make any plant based milks at home! Share your recipe with me 🙂
Take is easy