Most of the time the products we buy from the supermarket can easily be made at home with ingredients we have in our pantry. Tortillas and flatbread are so incredibly simple to make, and you avoid any nasty preservatives and packaging. They also taste so much nicer then the store bought ones.
Whether you are making Mexican food or Indian, I have you covered with these flat breads. I made both plain flat bread and turmeric flat bread. They also taste great with dips and hummus.
Vegan Homemade Flatbread (two ways)
Makes 8 flat bread
2 cups plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup warm water
Ground turmeric (optional – for turmeric flat bread)
1) Add the flour, baking powder, salt and olive oil into a bowl.
2) Mix the ingredients together until it forms a crumbly texture.
3) Mix in the warm water and kneed the dough into a ball.
4) Cover and let dough sit for 10 minutes.
5) After 10 minutes, cut the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll the pieces into small balls.
6) Use a rolling pin to roll the small balls into a flat circle (desired size). You may need to sprinkle a little bit of extra flour if the dough sticks.
7) Heat up a large non stick frying pan. One by one put the flat bread into the hot pan and cook on each side for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
To make the Turmeric flat bread
Mix together 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Brush the turmeric mixture onto the flat bread and place back into frying pan for a few minute to fry each side. Easy!
Peace and love