This dish is so comforting because it is full of flavour and jammed packed full of natural plant based protein. It is creamy, smooth and oh, so delicious. It is also cheap to make and can be made in 30 minutes.
I’ve been a fan of curries since changing my diet and realizing how easy they are to make and how nutritious they can be. I made a Vegan Thai Green Curry a few weeks back that you should check out if you dig curries as much as me! This one is more Indian inspired as it takes curry powder instead of curry paste (very big difference in flavours).
Vegan Sweet Potato & Lentil Coconut Curry
Serves 4 – 6
1 cup red lentils
1 large sweet potato (cut into small cubes)
1 white onion (diced)
1 tablespoon ginger (grated)
3 cloves garlic (chopped finely or crushed)
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon coriander (fresh or dried)
Chili flakes to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups coconut cream
1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
1 cup water
2 cups baby spinach
1) Add 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil to a large frying pan or skillet on medium heat.
2) When oil is hot, add in the diced sweet potato and diced onion. Fry for 5 minutes or until onion and potato have softened a little.
3) Add in the garlic, ginger, turmeric, cumin, curry powder, coriander, salt and pepper and chili.
4) Fry for a further 3 minutes and then add in the crushed tomatoes and water. Bring it all to a gentle simmer (this will start cooking your sweet potatoes and start developing the flavour). Simmer for 10 minutes on a low heat.
5) After 10 minutes, add in the coconut cream and continue simmering on low heat for another 20 minutes. In the last 5 minutes add in the lentils so they can start cooking. If your sweet potato isn’t soft enough continue simmering (you may need to add more water if this is the case).
6) Add in the baby spinach at the end and stir.
7) Serve with brown rice or any other desired rice. Garnish with coriander and extra coconut cream.