Today was the first Sunday I have had off in a verrry long time. It was so nice to take it easy. I got out of bed when I felt like it, instead of rushing out the door to go to work. The first few hours of my day was super slow and mindful. This allowed me to make breakfast and enjoy it on my deck with a large cup of coffee and the current issue of ‘Womankind’ magazine. This magazine is really interesting as it touches on philosophy, sociology and psychology (especially sharing stories about inspiring women). I have been trying to read at least 30 minutes a day, and not be distracted by my phone throughout this time. After breakfast I went to yoga. The class was just what I needed. It was a medium intensity class and the teacher focused on hip openers. I really enjoyed working up a sweat and getting my body moving on this lazy Sunday.
Onto dinner. I have been so excited to make this Satay Tofu Bowl ever since seeing the recipe on Delish Knowledge’s blog. Of course, I changed a few things and made coconut rice instead of using brown rice (but you can use whatever rice you like). I cannot tell you how much the coconut rice complemented this dish though. The dish has all elements of sweet, sour, salty and spicy. The satay tofu is amazing, full of flavour and a little bit crispy. Making the satay sauce yourself allows you to see what actually goes in. So you can avoid any unwanted artificial ingredients that come with a lot of ready made sauces. It was one of the best satay sauces I have tasted. To top it off, everything was all surprisingly very quick and easy to make.
Vegan Satay Tofu Bowl w/ Coconut & Lemongrass Rice
Makes 2 bowls
Ingredients for Bowl
250 grams firm tofu
2 cups baby spinach
1 carrot (grated)
1 spanish onion (thinly sliced)
1 broccoli (cut into florets)
1/2 cup chickpeas (rinsed)
Ingredients for Satay Sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons coconut aminos (can use soy sauce)
1 tablespoon maple syrup
2 tablespoons crunchy natural peanut butter
1 teaspoon garlic paste
1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
Ingredients for Coconut and Lemongrass Rice
1 cup jasmine rice (washed)
1 cup water
1 cup coconut milk
1 tablespoon lemongrass paste
1/2 teaspoon chili paste (optional)
1 tablespoon shredded coconut (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1) Put the jasmine rice, coconut milk, water, lemongrass paste and salt in a sauce pan on high heat and bring to a boil (making sure to mix the lemongrass/other added ingredients in). Once the rice is boiling turn down your heat onto low, and allow the rice to simmer for 15-20 minutes (with the lid on). After the 20 minutes let your rice steam in the saucepan for a further 5 minutes until soft and fluffy. Your rice is made.
2) Cut the tofu into cubes.
3) Place tofu cubes onto a baking tray with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Coat tofu in the olive oil.
3) Bake the tofu in an oven at 200 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
4) While the tofu is baking whisk together the sesame oil, coconut aminos, maple syrup, peanut butter, garlic and chili in a bowl.
5) Once the tofu is done, take it out of the oven and marinate the cubes in half of the satay sauce for 10-20 minutes.
6) Put your broccoli florets in the oven with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and salt and pepper. Bake for 15 mintues at 200 degrees Celsius.
7) After your tofu cubes have finished marinating put them into a frying pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the spanish onion. Fry for 5 minutes or until sauce has thickened and onion is cooked.
8) Add the spinach, rice, grated carrot, tofu, chickpeas and broccoli into a bowl. Top with extra sauce. Enjoy.
Peace and love to all!