If you haven’t noticed already, most of my recipes require minimal ingredients. These recipes still have a lot of flavour and depth. Reason being is that I dislike researching a recipe and then looking at the ingredients only to see a list of 100 things needed. I usually click straight out of it or reinterpret the recipe using less ingredients. I reinterpreted another recipe to recreate a simple burger that requires no time to prepare and minimal ingredients! It is also super healthy, full of protein and fiber and tastes amazing.
When I decided to make burgers I really wanted to use mushrooms in them. I have been using mushrooms in so many of my dishes recently. Mushrooms are high in antioxidants, are immune boosting and are an anti inflammatory. They are also high in vitamin D! Which is great for stabilizing moods and emotions.
Vegan Bean & Mushroom Burgers
Makes 8 patties
2 cans borlotti beans (also called cranberry beans)
1 cup mushrooms (finely sliced)
1 white onion (diced)
3 shallots (sliced)
2 gloves garlic (minced)
1 teaspoon coriander (I used dried)
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup chickpea flour (you can use any flour)
Multi grain rolls
Salad for burgers-
Baby spinach, tomato, spanish onion, avocado and sprouts
Sauce for burger-
1. Saute the onion, shallots and garlic with 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan until they are soft and lightly browned.
2. Add the mushrooms into the frying pan and saute for a further 5 minutes or until mushrooms are soft.
3. Rinse and drain the beans. Use a potato masher or food processor to mash the beans.
4. Add chickpea flour and the onion/mushrooms into the mashed beans. Mix together.
5. Roll the mixture into patties that are about 3 centimeters thick.
6. Fry the patties in olive oil on low heat for 5 minutes on each side so they are golden brown.
7. Place salad ingredients and patties on your bun and enjoy!